The Most Popular File Compression Utility for Windows Welcome to your one-stop file manager. Start saving your time with the world's #1 compression software. Zip, protect, manage and share all your files quickly and easily.
CAB (or Cabinet) is an archive file format for Microsoft Windows that supports lossless data compression and embedded digital certificates used for maintaining archive integrity. Cabinet files have .cab file name extensions and are recognized by their first 4 bytes MSCF. Cabinet files were known originally as Diamond files.
- 7-ZIP DMG file opener for Windows 7 users; 7-ZIP is a freeware type of software that can be downloaded for free using an internet-connected Windows 7 running computer system. 7-ZIP, being a popular extractor type of software is widely used to extract compressed files like CAB, ZIP, RAR, ISO, and WIM.
- Step 2: Locate the RAR file you wish to open within the main 7-Zip interface. To do so, peruse the resulting folder directly, and double-click the RAR file to access the contents of the file.
- Remove.pages extension and enter.zip as the extension and press enter. Open the zip file, and it should allow you to open the file and its contents. This is my method to edit pages files on my Windows Laptop First, make sure you see file extensions. Go to Windows File Explorer, on the View Ribbon, and check the box marked File Name Extensions.
- File Explorer (Windows Explorer) is the file manager used by Windows. Right-click the Start button to open the File Explorer, go to the.ZIP file and double-click it to view and uncompress the.ZIP file.
CAB file is a compressed archive which supports DEFLATE , Quantum, and LZX compression. CAB files are used by windows installation engines such as Setup API, device installer and advpack.
CAB files typically contain drivers, system files and other Windows components. The installation engine extracts these files for use in the set up of various software and hardware.
For a number of years, Microsoft has used .cab files to compress software that was distributed on disks. Originally, these files were used to minimize the number of floppy disks shipped with a product. Today, .cab files are used to reduce the file size and the associated download time for Web content that is found on the Internet or on corporate intranet servers.
One file in the cabinet is typically an information (.inf) file, which provides further installation information. The .inf file may refer to files in the .cab as well as to files at other URLs.
Each file compressed in a .cab file is stored completely within a single folder. A .cab file may contain one or more folders or portions of a folder. So, even if a compressed file does not fit in one .cab file, it is placed in one folder that spans multiple .cab files. Such a series of .cab files form a set. Each .cab file contains name information for the logically adjacent .cab files.
A .cab file can be digitally signed like an ActiveX control. A digital signature provides accountability for software developers. The signature associates a software vendor's name with a given file. A signature can be applied to a .cab file using Authenticode technology.
Open/Extract CAB/Cabinet File on Windows
You can use Windows built-in System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe) to extract CAB/Cabinet file.
- Start -> Run
- Type: msconfig.exe
- Press Enter
- Click 'Expand File..' at tab General
- Click 'Browse From..' to choose CAB/Cabinet file
- Click 'Browse To..' to choose folder to save the restored file
- Click 'Expand'
Alternatively, You can install an all-in-one archive compression software. Easy 7-Zip opens/extracts CAB/Cabinet file easily on Windows. The Easy 7-Zip was developed based on 7-Zip. 7-Zip is a famous open source file archiver. The Easy 7-Zip is an easy-to-use version of 7-Zip. The open source freeware keeps all features of 7-Zip and adds a few useful features that makes the software more user-friendly.
Easy 7-Zip works on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/2008/2003/XP/2000 (both 32-bit and 64-bit compatible).
- Free Download Easy 7-Zip
- Install Easy 7-Zip by step-by-step instructions
- The installation will associate CAB with Easy 7-Zip automatically
- Double-click on CAB file to open CAB/Cabinet file with Easy 7-Zip
- Alternatively, Right-click on CAB/Cabinet file on Windows Explorer
You will see files or folders within the CAB/Cabinet file then, click button Extract to extract the CAB/Cabinet file.
And then, choose Extract files.., Extract Here, or Extract to 'folder' to extract the CAB/Cabinet file.
Easy 7-Zip Download Links:
OS X Mavericks (version 10.9) is the tenth major release of macOS, Apple Inc.' S desktop and server operating system for Macintosh computers. OS X Mavericks was announced on June 10, 2013, at WWDC 2013, and was released on October 22, 2013 worldwide. Os 10 mavericks download.
You can try other alternative freeware that opens/extracts CAB/Cabinet file on Windows. For example:
- B1 Free Archiver
- Universal Extractor
Open/Extract CAB/Cabinet File on Mac
Open Mac Zip File On Windows 10
B1 Free Archiver opens/extracts CAB/Cabinet file on Mac. B1 Free Archiver is a free software for creating archive folder and extracting archive file. B1 Archiver works on all platforms - Windows, Linux, Mac and Android. The freeware supports most popular formats including CAB/Cabinet.
B1 Free Archiver is compatible with:
- Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
- Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Alternative freeware that opens/extracts CAB/Cabinet file on Mac.
- The Unarchiver
Open/Extract CAB/Cabinet File on Linux
You need to install cabextract. cabextract extracts files from Microsoft cabinet (.cab) archives or executable cabinet.
Install cabextract on CentOS and Fedora
|$ wget http://www.cabextract.org.uk/cabextract-1.4.tar.gz|
$ tar -zxvf cabextract-1.4.tar.gz
$ cd cabextract-1.4
# make install
Install cabextract on Debian and Ubuntu
|# apt-get install cabextract|
To extract/unpack a CAB file, type:
|$ cabextract file.cab|
To extract CAB file to specified directory, type:
|$ cabextract -d directory file.cab|
- -v --version print version / list cabinet
- -h --help show this help page
- -l --list list contents of cabinet
- -t --test test cabinet integrity
- -q --quiet only print errors and warnings
- -L --lowercase make filenames lowercase
- -f --fix fix (some) corrupted cabinets
- -p --pipe pipe extracted files to stdout
- -s --single restrict search to cabs on the command line
- -F --filter extract only files that match the given pattern
- -d --directory extract all files to the given directory
Open ZIP File
ZIP file extension is used to store compressed files in ZIP file format. ZIP file format and DEFLATE compression algorithm was introduced by Phil Katz in PKWARE PKZIP compression/decompression utility. It was introduced as an alternative to ARC compression format and because it was released in public domain quickly gained popularity.
ZIP files utilize lossless compression. Most common compression method used by ZIP files is DEFLATE which is a combination of LZ77 algorithm and Huffman coding. ZIP file format is defined in RFC 1951.
ZIP file format supports password based symmetric encryption. It is not recommended to use that encryption since there are multiple flaws in it which can compromise archive security. Instead using AES encryption is recommended. AES encryption is available in ZIP file format documentation since version 5.2 and is supported by multiple ZIP applications including WinZip.
Older versions of ZIP file format supported only 4GB files and could have only 4GB maximum size of archive. With introduction of ZIP64 specification extension, ZIP can support of files and archives larger than 4GB. Most of the modern operating systems support compressing and decompressing files in ZIP64 format.
ZIP file format is currently adopted by all operating systems including Windows, Mac OS, Unix, Linux and others. Windows Explorer and Mac OS finder can open ZIP file and uncompress its content.
Open ZIP file on Windows
Open Mac Zip File On Windows10
- Download WinZIP application from winzip.com and launch it by double-clicking on it.
- Launch WinZIP from the Start menu or Desktop. Click on File->Open archive in the WinZIP main menu.
- In the file open dialog select ZIP file you want to open and click 'Open'.
- You will see contents of the ZIP file and every file and folder stored in it.
- Select files and folders you want to extract and click on the 'Extract to' icon.
Open Mac Zip File On Windows 7
ZIP files are transferred over e-mail or internet using following file multipurpose internet mail extensions (MIME) types: application/octet-stream, application/x-zip-compressed, multipart/x-zip.